A volunteer from Citizens Advice spe

Floods in Mid Suffolk

Posted: 25th October 2023

If you have been affected by the recent floods in Mid Suffolk following Storm Babet then Citizens Advice can help.

We offer free, confidential advice.  You can call us on 01449 676060, contact us via our website or  visit our office in our opening hours.  We will be at the Monday Meet up at Dove Cottage in Debenham on 30th October.  We have advice services in Eye Library and Needham Market on a Friday morning.

There is some useful advice on the National Citizens Advice website:

  • Deal with flooding in a rented home – find out what your landlord is responsible for, what to do if you have to move out temporarily, paying your rent if you have moved out, what to do if you get Universal Credit or Housing Benefit and about replacing your belongings.

  • Problems with an insurance claim – if you think that your insurance company is not being fair following the floods then you need to know what steps to take.  You can find out about speaking to your insurer, making an official complaint and using the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Applying for Financial Aid

The Suffolk Local Welfare Assistance Scheme (LWAS) can help those who find themselves in financial hardship with cash payments.  The cash payment can be up to £300.  To be eligible to receive financial support from the LWAS you must:

  • Live in Suffolk
  • Be 16-years old or over
  • Have a combined household income of £27,500 a year or less
  • Have less than £1,500 available in savings across the household
  • Not have received an award from the LWAS since 1st October 2023

You can apply for Local Welfare Assistance online or contact us for help to apply.

Depending on your circumstances, Citizens Advice Mid Suffolk may be able to help you to apply for other charitable support following the floods.  You will need to contact us to speak to an Adviser so that we can find out if you are eligible.

Help Available Locally

If your home was affected by the recent floods, Mid Suffolk District Council may be able to support with collecting items that have been damaged or broken. If you need this support, fill out the form for the Flood Damage Items Collection Service on the Mid Suffolk District Council website.  Mid Suffolk District Council can be contacted on 0300 1234000 between 8.45am – 5pm Monday to Friday (on Tuesdays their phone lines open at 10am).  If you need to speak to Mid Suffolk District Council outside their opening hours to report emergency repairs or concerns regarding housing please phone 0808 168 7794.

You can read further Flooding Information from Mid Suffolk District Council, including advice on flood safety and public health, steps to take when cleaning up after floods and support for businesses.

There is Flood Recovery Information for Suffolk on the Suffolk County Council website.  Suffolk Highways has an online reporting system for road problems, such as flooding on roads, ditches and streams.  You can phone Suffolk Highways on  0345 606 6171.